Tel. 01271 870536
Book Online

History

 

As with many old estates we have unearthed a few old tales that we believe to be true and are certainly fun to relate.

 

We believe that the current Manor House was built in the early 1800's,  with it's predecessor being nearer to the Chapel.  The “New” owners, the family of which built the current house, were reputed to have won the Estate on a card game.

Easy come, easy go;   Over the next generations the hedges were apparently all ripped out of the valley to enable horse racing from one end to the other but unfortunately one bet too many allegedly forced a swift transfer of property to a luckier recipient. 

The photo on the right shows the valley right through to Middle and then Higher Spreacombe. Once these farms woud have belonged to The Estate. 

Spreacombe Manor

In the 1900's the Estate was owned by Lady Cecil and Arthur Leigh Barker.  Lady Cecil, for some time, would take tea with Lady Chichester of Arlington Court. 

On the death of Lady Cecil, Arthur Barker scattered her ashes in Spreacombe Chapel and donated Chapel Wood to the RSPB in her name. There is a memorial plaque to them in the chapel. 

 

 

The holiday cottages were built by Norman Dennis on the site of the old vegetable garden to the Manor - hence the name, Spreacombe Gardens. 

 

Norman Dennis has researched much of the history of the Spreacombe valley and its previous owners, please feel free to ask him any questions. 

Spreacombe Gardens.

Get in touch

Check Availability